Food Writing

24 January 2016

Coconut "Macaroonies" (Grain Free)



Every time I post a gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free or all-of-the-above-free recipe, I question why it might get attention. Why not post about regular blondies? Well because, these "coconut blondies" are just so much more interesting. And I am always proved wrong...you like alternative stuff. As bakers, I feel we are most fresh when we are playing around, continuing to grow and working with different ingredients. You all seemed to love my almond flour scones and muffins and my coconut flour brownies. I continually turn to the coconut brownies in fact, even often over normal ones (gasp!). And so here I am today with another coconut flour win that comes from none other than Saveur's Ben Mims this month. He described them as a macaroon, in blondie form, but without all the coconut strands. And he is exactly right.  And we liked them so much I made them twice in a week.


It seems like there are different kinds of folks who search for grain-less baked goods...those who cannot/try not, to consume much grain, and those who love any opportunity to add variety to their repertoire while knocking out some of that alternative flour they curiously bought, without sacrificing flavor or wasting time. I definitely fall into the latter. Here coconut is used in two forms--via oil and flour. Egg white, sugar and white chocolate bring it together. Combining the warm oil with the white chocolate in the first step, you'll have a nice creamy base which becomes a one-bowl affair. If you are microwave-less like me, warming the oil on the stove works fine. Just be sure the mixture is cool enough so adding the egg doesn't cause seizure : ) Ben calls for coconut extract in addition to the vanilla but it's not exactly in my pantry. Extra vanilla works just fine and is reflected below. Ok, now go enjoy your paleo-ish blondies and thank me later.



Small Batch Coconut Blondies
Slightly adapted from Saveur

UPDATED 5/18 Notes: Originally, I cut this recipe way down to make a 6-inch pan rather than a giant one he made. The next time I made it I cut it down for a 8 or 9 inch square pan which--gives you more and that's better! I will make 8 or 9 inch from now on. 

76 grams/2.6 oz good quality white chocolate, well chopped
78 grams/ 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil
2 egg white, lightly beaten
1/2 cup (56 grams) coconut flour
scant 1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup/88 grams sugar

Lightly toasted coconut and/or toasted almonds for topping

Oven to 350 degrees. Grease lightly an 8 inch pan and line with parchment. 

Whisk coconut flour in a small cup/bowl to break up any lumps.

Place chocolate into medium bowl. Heat coconut oil until just hot to the touch and melted, and pour it over the white chocolate. Let sit for a moment, then gently stir with a whisk to smoothness. Add vanilla extract, salt, sugar and egg white and fold to combine well. Add coconut flour and stir to just combine. 

Scrape into prepared pan, bake 30-35 minutes until top is lightly browned, and set. Let cool completely before slicing. 







No comments :

Post a Comment