Food Writing

07 January 2018

Deb's Small-Batch Oatmeal Cookies



Well, I've just marked two months into this mothering thing. Sometimes it feels like I blinked and woke up into a different...I wouldn't say life, because a lot is the same, but when you have a baby, you come home with, a baby. And (Jack) is the cutest, healthiest, smartest little nugget. We are...in awe. At the moment he is laying in my lap half sleeping, hiccuping and just flashed me a smile. We also, within the first two weeks of postpartum haze, moved out of our very small former apartment of five years, into the larger apartment next door, and boy is it more comfortable. Between caring for and feeding the baby and managing to attend to ourselves, we schlepped our stuff a couple of feet over the course of a week or so and suddenly on Thanksgiving night, we were eating a turkey breast with cranberry sauce (my husband freaked out at me when he saw me handling a large raw turkey part in the middle of us moving and attending to an infant because it clearly wasn't necessary but was definitely festive and delicious) and later that night we were marathon moved, at the table in our new digs, with Jack apparently insisting on joining us (we are exclusively breastfeeding). Ed took a picture of that but it won't go up here. Thank God for two hands.




The little guy.

There is more space to cook here, thankfully. So what have I been cooking? The post on postpartum freezing was definitely put into reality! Thank. God. I. Did. That. The first night home from the hospital, I pulled out a loaf of zucchini bread and placed it on the counter to defrost overnight. We had ragu countless times, ate all the baked goods within the first few weeks and soup from the freezer for dinner at 11:30 pm one of the first nights when we had "slept when the baby slept." A lot of eggs, open faced cheese and turkey melts, and chicken thighs, tossed in some kind of spice mix and set into the oven to roast.

We got through the first few weeks together and things have started to even out as far as time management. Newborns are constant but it is about finding the pockets. Which leads me to the top photo. For Christmas, Smitten Kitchen's new cookbook found it's way to me (I made a Pinterest board this year of things I might "want, ongoing" and directed my husband to it when he asked what I'd want for Christmas--which I highly recommend doing, in general. Still waiting for him to join Pinterest...). The book is so charming.  I have many things marked to make, but first was intrigued by these oatmeal cookies--they only make two (big) cookies, and are what she calls her house cookie. I have made them twice in a week and pulling them together took all of ten minutes. They are the perfect treat for when you find a time pocket and decide you want a cookie shortly. Like me every afternoon. I'm a fan.

Deb's Two Big Oatmeal Chocolate Raisin Cookies
From Smitten Kitchen Everyday

2 Tbs Melted Butter
3 Tbs Light Brown Sugar
1 Egg Yolk
1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla
3 Tbs All Purpose Flour
Heaped 1/8 Teaspoon Baking Soda
Pinch Cinnamon
2 Pinches Salt
1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
3 Tablespoons Chocolate Chips
2 Tablespoons Raisins

Oven to 350. Line a small pan with parchment. Combine butter, sugar, egg yolk, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and flour. Stir in oats, chips and raisins. Divide into two big mounds and bake 16-17 minutes until nicely golden brown. Let cool on tray, then cool on rack.


No comments :

Post a Comment