Food Writing

05 July 2012

Fried Artichoke Omelet



One of the things I find fascinating about artichokes in addition to their wonderful slight tang, is how meaty/juicy they can actually be, and when they are fried up and smushed a bit in this omelet, seasoned with herbs, parmesan and ample salt, you'll get a texture that almost resembles an extremely moist poultry.


I decided I'd be depriving the artichokes of proper seasoning if I didn't spiffy them up with some herbs, so I biked to the little flower farm around the corner and got  fresh oregano and fresh rosemary. A little goes a long way here. I particularly love the tang of the artichoke with the earthy, distinct oregano. I start by frying the artichoke pieces in a little oil, constantly turning them, then pour on a bit of parmesan and salt, let them sit, and add the herbs.I  used an ample amount of artichoke pieces as I like a large vegetable to egg ratio for the most part with flat omelets.



Fried Artichoke Omelet

Olive oil
sea salt
cracked pepper
fresh herbs- oregano and rosemary, about 1 T chopped finely
4 artichoke hearts (canned fine), chopped into quarters and then chopped again
2 eggs, beaten
pinch red pepper flakes
wedge parmesan, shaved to 1/4- 1/2 c

Heat a small skillet (I used a small stainless steel fry pan), wait a minute until it heats, and then add a glug of oil to coat the bottom. Add the chopped artichokes and saute a few minutes, then add salt and crushed pepper flakes. Sautee a bit more, then add a small handful grated parmesan. Toss and let sit for a moment, then add herbs and toss. Turn the heat off while you beat the eggs. Return pan to low-med heat, pour in eggs, ad another little glug oil around the edges of the egg, and let cook a few minutes until the bottom starts to set. Add the rest of the parmesan and let cook until a spatula can lift the omelet. At this point, I wanted the top to cook a minute more so I popped the pan in the broiler for literally under a minute. Keep an eye on it. Transfer carefully to a platter, top with a few flakes salt, a tiny drizzle oil. Let cool a few minutes and enjoy.

No comments :

Post a Comment