Food Writing

01 October 2013

Triple Coconut Cookies


As soon as I saw a photo of the Triple Coconut Cookies from London Bakes on Pinterest, I put it on my board even though I hadn't even yet looked at the ingredients. The title itself sounded bewitching enough, and the dark color of the dough felt perfect for Fall. But image aside, the ingredients are what really make this cookie a bit different and delicious. Coconut oil, coconut sugar, toasted coconut flecks and dark chocolate chunks are mixed into a 95-5 spelt-almond flour blend that gets kissed with vanilla and bound with just enough egg to make a dough. No mixer needed. You blend by hand here rather than creaming. And the taste? Wonderful. I like these a lot. I haven't used coconut oil in cookies before and really enjoyed it as an option. The cookies are mild, almost vegan and thin with great chewy centers, and even have a slight visual glisten from the coconut oil. I love how they turn dark from the coconut sugar. A great way to get a triple hit of coconut indeed.


The only thing I altered here was the spelt-almond flour blend (London used Einkorn and says spelt would work too). Not wanting to mess with things too much, I limited my almond flour to a pinch or the last 5 grams. Another good thing about the recipe is the freeze factor. The dough gets a quick chill then balls are scooped and can be baked off now in a 12 minute trip in the oven or frozen to bake from the cold later, in which they'd need an additional few minutes. And in case you're wondering what the beverage is in the last photo it's homemade chai concentrate from Beth at Tasty Yummies. I made a little batch over the weekend, stored it in the fridge and heat equal amounts of the concentrate and some milk (which I shake in a mason jar after it's heated to get the froth effect). That chai's a good idea with these cookies... See you soon xoxo MN
 


Triple Coconut Cookies 
from London Bakes


Makes 1 dozen

45g virgin coconut oil, softened
75g coconut sugar
1/2 large egg (26 grams beaten egg)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
70g flour (I used 65 g spelt flour and 5 g almond)
20g desiccated unsweetened coconut (I used flaked that I blitzed to shreds in the food processor)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
50g dark chocolate, roughly chopped (I used Theo dark)

Spread the desiccated coconut out on a baking tray and bake for about 5 minutes at 325 until it just starts to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. When cool,  whisk coconut shreds with with flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

Beat together the coconut oil and coconut sugar with a spatula until combined. Add egg, vanilla and continue to beat until mixed.

Fold in the flour mixture, then fold in the chopped chocolate, mix until combined but not longer than that.

Place the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Oven to 350. Roll out tablespoons of dough (I did about 20 gram balls) and place parchment-lined tray. *

Bake about 12 minutes until the edges of the cookies are just brown. Allow to cool on the baking tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

*At this point you can freeze the balls. Freeze until solid, an hour or two, and then place the balls in a freezer plastic bag. Bake from frozen/ add a few minutes to the cooking time.

No comments :

Post a Comment