Food Writing

26 July 2014

Strategy



High time at the farmer's markets. It's almost too much. But we know come December, we'll be desperate for this. I overheard a mother shoo her toddler away from the bundle of tomatoes saying they already had some at home. I take more time in my visits lately, trying to consider what works best together, what I need a break from, and make myself move on and buy what's new. Asparagus and kale and I are on a break. It's this time of year when you're wise to know when to listen to your inner canner/jammer/freezer/pesto maker and when to remember your plans to be out, about, eating pizza and sipping wine away from home. In other words, strategy. Here's a few things I've cooked this month other than that eggplant recipe.

Berry Heaven



Last year I used what berries I froze from July's peak, by August...this year I vow to focus more on peaches in August. That said, there's five more days in July, and I intend to bake with the berries for as long as they appear fresh. Last week it was two blueberry cherry galettes in a rye crust (I just divided a dough round in half). I posted the recipe to Food52s current contest for berries. It's similar to these but with a different filling. And for a day when resting and rolling dough is the last thing you're in the mood for, like on a Wednesday evening, make Lily's blueberry crisp tart. Oats-y, easy, delicious, and requires no planning ahead other than letting it cool down. Which means you can throw it together before dinner (in just a few minutes) and it's also great for breakfast.


Cilantro


Love it or biologically reject it, Cilantro captures my heart. I'm a lover of it and will take it on anything. Once you buy a bunch you have to use it rather swiftly though. Keeping it in a vase of water like flowers, in the fridge, with a plastic bag draped over it, extends the shelf life. In the meantime, snip and salad-spin the leaves to make a pungent pesto and dollop it on everything from fish to eggs. Or make this delicious dressing and spoon it over a Mexican salad with shreds of leftover roast chicken tucked in. Which brings me to...


Roast chicken



Heat your oven up one day and have dinner for the next, too. I like this recipe from Bon Appetit. I Frenched the drumsticks slightly to avoid sinewy tendons. In a multi-option roast chicken world, Julia at BA reports she turns to this particular one again and again. Simple, straightforward, done in an hour and keeps the bird moist as can be. I like the hybrid bake: half very high, half low. Be sure to carve the chicken up to serve for easy access for those a little more squeamish about the bones. All while knowing that, roasting whole in the skin, on the bone is the cook's secret weapon. Afterwards, make stock from the carcass. 

See you soon with a new recipe : )

No comments :

Post a Comment